ABOUT - The herb peppermint, a natural cross between two types of mint (water mint and spearmint), grows throughout Europe and North America. Both peppermint leaves and the essential oil from peppermint have been used for health purposes. Peppermint oil is the essential oil taken from the flowering parts and leaves of the peppermint plant. Essential oils are very concentrated oils containing substances that give a plant its characteristic odor or flavor. Peppermint has been used for health purposes for several thousand years. Records from ancient Greece, Rome, and Egypt mention that it was used for digestive disorders and other conditions.
BOTANICAL NAME - Mentha piperita
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN - USA
MAIN COMPONENTS -
EXTRACTION METHOD - Steam Distillation
PLANT PART - Whole Plant
AROMA - Refreshingly minty, fresh, sweet, and similar to Peppermint gum and mints
CONSISTENCY - Thin
COLOR - Clear
BLENDS WELL WITH - Marjoram, Cypress, Eucalyptus, Geranium, Grapefruit, Juniper Berry, Lemon and Tea Tree.
- RELIEVE MUSCLE AND JOINT PAIN - If you are wondering if peppermint oil is good for pain, the answer is a resounding “yes!” Peppermint essential oil is a very effective natural painkiller and muscle relaxant. It also has cooling, invigorating and antispasmodic properties. Peppermint oil is especially helpful in alleviating a tension headache, in one clinical trial performing as well as acetaminophen.
- SINUS CARE AND OTHER RESPIRATORY BENEFITS - Inhaling diffused peppermint oil can help to unclog your sinuses and offer relief from a scratchy throat. Peppermint acts as an expectorant, helping to open your airways, clear mucus and reduce congestion, and is one of the best essential oils for colds, the flu, cough, sinusitis, asthma, bronchitis and other respiratory conditions.
- SEASONAL ALLERGY RELIEF - Peppermint oil is highly effective at relaxing muscles in your nasal passages and helping to clear out the muck and pollen from your respiratory tract during allergy season. It’s considered one of the best essential oils for allergies because of its expectorant, anti-inflammatory and invigorating properties.
- INCREASE ENERGY AND IMPROVE EXERCISE PERFORMANCE - For a non-toxic alternative to dangerous energy drinks, take a few whiffs of peppermint. It will help to boost your energy levels on long road trips, in school or any other time you need to “burn the midnight oil.” Peppermint oil may also help to improve memory and alertness when inhaled. And it can be used to enhance your physical performance, whether you need a little push during your weekly workouts or you are training for an athletic event.
- ALLEVIATE HEADACHES - Peppermint oil for headaches has the ability to improve circulation, soothe the gut and relax tense muscles. All of these conditions can cause tension headaches or migraines, making peppermint oil one of the best essential oils for headaches.