ABOUT - Almonds are the edible seeds of the Prunus dulcis tree, more commonly known as the almond tree. Although almonds are commonly referred to as nuts, they’re actually the seeds found at the center of the almond fruit, which closely resembles a peach. Almonds can be consumed whole, ground into flour and even made into non-dairy milk. They are very rich in fat, making them a perfect source of oil. Sweet almonds are the variety typically eaten and used to make foods, oils and cosmetics. Meanwhile, bitter almonds are believed to have medicinal properties, though they can be toxic if they’re not properly processed. Moreover, they’re not widely available.
BOTANICAL NAME - Prunus dulcis
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN - United States
SOLUBILITY - Miscible with chloroform, and ether; slightly soluble in ethanol (95%).
EXTRACTION METHOD - Cold Pressed
CONSISTENCY : Thin/Thick
AROMA - Sweet Almond has a very subtle aroma with hints of nuttiness
COLOR - Pale yellow to golden yellow
ABSORPTION - Sweet Almond absorbs at average speed into skin, and leaves a slightly oily feel
- REDUCED SKIN IRRITATION - Almond oil can be used to calm your skin in times of need. Whether you're dealing with itchiness and swelling or something more clinical like psoriasis or eczema, almond oil can soothe the irritation as a quick fix before finding a more permanent solution. Applying it topically to the areas of need adds an extra dose of moisture, relieving any irritation your skin may be experiencing.
- SKIN REJUVENATION - Zamani suggested that almond oil can be used to revitalize and rejuvenate your skin when it's looking a bit dull or tired. Almond oil contains softening properties that come in handy when your skin isn't looking its best.2
- EVENS SKIN TONE - It can even out your skin tone and improve the complexion over time, revealing a new and improved version of your skin. Try incorporating almond oil into your skincare routine if you're looking for a more homeopathic way to improve your skin's overall appearance.
- SUN PROTECTION - According to a study documented in the Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology, almond oil can protect your skin from the sun as well as reverse any damage that has happened to your skin as a result of exposure to UV rays. The damage and aging that is typically caused by exposure to the sun were significantly reduced in the study, demonstrating that it not only protects your skin but also slows down the aging process. This isn't to say you should skip SPF altogether, but mixing in a bit of oil can increase your sun protection benefits while also giving you a glow.
- HELPS IN HAIR GROWTH - Almond oil can make hair stronger and less prone to split ends, which means your hair growth won’t be slowed by losing hair that becomes damaged. Almond oil contains high amounts of vitamin E, which is a natural antioxidant. When antioxidants combat the environmental stress around your hair, your hair looks younger and healthier.
- REDUCES STRETCH MARKS - Although more research needs to be done proving that almond oil is a cure for stretch marks (cure is a tricky word), one study involving a series of women shows that it can be used to prevent their stretch marks from spreading as well as from forming.3 As we mentioned earlier, almond oil has incredible softening properties, so when it is applied to areas where stretch marks typically occur on your body, it works to soften that skin and allow for it to stretch without exacerbating the marks. The softened skin can handle stretching more than untreated skin—we're definitely trying this one out.
- HYDRATES SKIN - Applying almond oil to your skin is a great way to lock in moisture and keep your skin glowing all day long. Face oils leave your skin the dewiest it has ever looked, and almond oil is no exception. Not only will your skin be left hydrated, but it will also have an overall better complexion and even tone.
- PROMOTES HEALTHY SKIN - It is best applied when it is at the same temperature as your body. Another reason almond oil is so good for skin is because it is rich in Vitamin E which is a very effective anti-oxidant. Apply the oil regularly and your skin will combat stress and UV damage with ease.
- DARK CIRCLES - Almond oil is a miracle cure for dark circles and eye bags. Simply apply some below your eyes every night before sleeping and in 2 weeks you will see the difference.
- REDUCES SIGNS OF AGEING - Ageing is natural but premature ageing isn’t. With the aid of almond oil you can reverse the effects of skin ageing caused by exposure to factors like the sun, smoke as well as from dehydration. Additionally, using a nourishing product like Olay Regenerist Regenerating Day Cream with SPF 15 will make your skin look radiant and youthful