ABOUT - Lavender is an herb native to northern Africa and the mountainous regions of the Mediterranean. Lavender is also grown for the production of its essential oil, which comes from the distillation of the flower spikes of certain lavender species. The oil has cosmetic uses, and it is believed to have some medicinal uses.
BOTANICAL NAME - Lavandula angustifolia
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN - Bulgaria
MAIN COMPONENTS -
- Linalyl acetate
- 1, 8-Cineole
EXTRACTION METHOD - Steam Distillation
PLANT PART - Flowers
AROMA - Herbaceous, sweet, floral, fresh, and clean
CONSISTENCY - Thin
COLOR - Clear
BLENDS WELL WITH - Geranium, Frankincense, Vetiver, Lemon, Patchouli, Bergamot, Orange, Cedarwood, Grapefruit, Rosemary and Clary Sage
- ANTIOXIDANT PROTECTION - Free radicals, like toxins, chemicals and pollutants, are arguably the most dangerous and most common risk factor for every disease that affects Americans today. Free radicals are responsible for shutting down your immune system and can cause unbelievable damage to your body.
- IMPROVES MOOD AND REDUCES STRESS - In recent years, lavender oil has been put on a pedestal for its unique ability to protect against neurological damage. Traditionally, lavender has been used to treat neurological issues like migraines, stress, anxiety and depression, so it’s exciting to see that the research is finally catching up to history.
- PROMOTES HEALTHY SKIN - Most likely due to its antimicrobial and antioxidant characteristics, lavender essential mixed with a carrier oil (like coconut, jojoba or grapeseed oil) has profound benefits on your skin. Using lavender oil topically can help to improve a number of skin conditions, from canker sores to allergic reactions, acne and age spots. Its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties help to ease skin conditions and reverse signs of aging.
- RELIEVES HEADACHES - If you are one of the millions of people struggling with tension or migraine headaches, lavender oil may just be the natural remedy you’ve been looking for. It’s one of the best essential oils for headaches because it induces relaxation and relieves tension. It works as a sedative, anti-anxiety, anticonvulsant and calming agent.
- IMPROVES SLEEP AND INSOMNIA - Because of lavender oil’s sedative and calming properties, it works to improve sleep and treat insomnia. A 2015 study involving 158 mothers in their postpartum period were divided into the control or intervention group. The intervention group inhaled lavender oil before bed four times a week for eight weeks. The women using lavender oil displayed a significant improvement in sleep quality when compared to the control group.