Terminalia arjuna is a deciduous tree of the genus Terminalia seen across the Indian Subcontinent. The arjuna grows to about 20–25 metres tall. It has oblong, conical leaves which are green on the top and brown below; pale yellow flowers & grey colored smooth bark. It has glabrous fiber woody fruits. Arjuna is a well known potential cardioprotective agent. It is widely used in Ayurveda for various cardiovascular ailments. Arjuna has antioxidant, anti-ischemic, antihypertensive, and anti-hypertrophic effects, which have relevance to its therapeutic potential in cardiovascular diseases.
- Rasa (taste): Kashay (Astringent)
- Veerya (nature): Sheeta (Cold)
- Vipaka (taste developed through digestion): Katu (Pungent)
- Guna (qualities): Laghu, Ruksha (Light,Dry)
- Doshas (effect on humors): Pacifies Pitta & Kapha
Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna) Extract Tannins 5% by Gravimetry
Common Name Arjuna Botanical Name Terminalia arjuna Standardization Tannins 5% Test Method Gravimetry Part Used Bark Application Cardiac Health