Boswellia, commonly referred to as Salai, is a plant of the family Burseraceae. This plant is native to India and is mainly grown in drier parts. The tree is 4-5 m in height. The oleo-gum resin is excluded by cuts made in the bark of the tree. Oil is harvested once the gum hardens. Since ancient times it was used for osteoarthritis, muscular pain & cosmetic purposes. Boswellia is widely used for anti-aging treatments and acne medications due to its strong anti-inflammatory property. It has clinically shown to improve skin elasticity and visibly reduce wrinkles by healing damaged & destructive connective tissue. It is widely used in commercial cosmetic products & fragrances.
- Rasa (taste): Kashaya, Tikta, Madhura (Astringent, Bitter, Sweet)
- Veerya (nature): Sheeta (Cold)
- Vipaka (taste developed through digestion): Katu (Pungent)
- Guna (qualities): Laghu, Rooksha (Light, Dry)
- Doshas (effect on humors): Balances Kapha & Pitta
Boswellia (Boswellia serrata) Salai Guggul Extract AKBBA 30% by HPLC
Common Name Boswellia Botanical Name Boswellia serrata Standardization 30% AKBBA Test Method HPLC Part Used Resin Application Joint & Skin Health