Kantakari (Solanum Xanthocarpum) Extract Tannins 5% by Gravimetry
Solanum xanthocarpum, commonly known as the Indian nightshade or Yellow berried nightshade, belongs to the family Solanaceae. It is a prickly, diffuse, bright green, perennial herb, found throughout India, mostly in dry places. It has bluish purple colored flowers & cylindrical roots. Kantakari plant is described as a pungent, bitter, digestive stimulant and carminative. Root decoction used as febrifuge, diuretic and expectorant. It is widely used for the treatment of bronchial asthma, tympanitis, piles and dysuria and for rejuvenation. It is also known to have antispasmodic, antitumor, cardiotonic, hypotensive, antianaphylactic and cytotoxic activities.
- Rasa (taste): Tikta, Katu (Bitter, Pungent)
- Veerya (nature): Ushna (Hot)
- Vipaka (taste developed through digestion): Katu (Pungent)
- Guna (qualities):Laghu, Ruksha, Tikshna (Light, Dry, Sharp)
- Doshas (effect on humors): Balances Vata & Kapha and increases Pitta dosha
Common Name Kantkari Botanical Name Solanum Xanthocarpum Standardization Tannins 5% Test Method Gravimetry Part Used Whole Plant Application Supports Respiratory System