ABOUT - Vetiver Essential Oil, also called khus oil, is extracted from the vetiver plant, a clumpy, green grass native to India that can grow five feet high or more. Vetiver oil is quite fragrant, with a distinctive sharp and earthy scent.
BOTANICAL NAME - Vetiveria zizanioides
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN - India
MAIN COMPONENTS -
EXTRACTION METHOD - Steam Distillation
PLANT PART - Roots
AROMA - Woody, smoky, and musky
CONSISTENCY - Thick
COLOR - Amber
BLENDS WELL WITH - Bergamot, Clary Sage, Cypress, Frankincense, Lavender, Lemon, Sweet Marjoram and Patchouli
- PROVEN ANTIOXIDANT - Antioxidants are substances that help prevent certain types of cell damage, especially those caused by oxidation. When certain types of oxygen molecules are allowed to travel freely in the body, they cause what’s known as oxidative damage, which is the formation of free radicals, which are very dangerous to the body’s tissues. Some benefits of consuming antioxidant-rich foods and herbs include slower aging, healthy and glowing skin, reduced cancer risk, detoxification support, and longer life span.
- HEALS SCARS AND MARKS ON SKIN - Vetiver oil is a cicatrisant, meaning it heals scars by promoting the regeneration of skin and tissue. It rejuvenates the skin and removes dark spots or signs of acne and pox. It’s also an anti-aging oil and effectively treats stretch marks, cracks and other skin disorders. Plus, it works as a home remedy for burn relief as well as a home remedy for acne. This can be effective for women who have stretch marks after childbirth. By adding a few drops of vetiver oil to your face wash, body soap or lotion, you will notice the difference — your skin will be even or your complexion will improve.
- SERVES AS AN APHRODISIAC - Mental and physical stress can lead to a loss of libido or sex drive. A 2010 study published in the journal Hormones and Behavior first suggested this when it evaluated the “dual-hormone hypothesis” clinically. Researchers discovered that when cortisol is elevated in times of stress, testosterone responds by elevating as well. The problem is that eventually the testosterone levels bottom out at a much lower level than before cortisol kicked in.
- IMPROVES BODY FUNCTION - Vetiver oil boosts the immune and nervous system, as it’s a natural tonic. A 2015 study conducted in India found that vetiver oil plays a protective role in the body by lessening the toxic results of a chemotherapy drug called cisplatin, which is used to treat cancer of the testicles, bladder, ovaries or lung. Because of its antioxidant activity, vetiver oil significantly inhibited DNA damage, clastogenic effects and cell cycle arrest in the bone marrow cells of mice that were given cisplatin for five consecutive days.
- REPELS TERMITES - The Louisiana State University Agricultural Center analyzed the termite repellency of eight essential oils, including vetiver grass, cassia leaf oil, clove bud, cedarwood, eucalyptus globules, eucalyptus citrodora, lemongrass and geranium oils. Of the tested essential oils, vetiver oil proved the most effective repellent because of its long-lasting activity. Vetiver oil also decreased termite tunneling activity at concentrations as low as fiver micrograms per one gram of sand.