ABOUT - Clary sage (Salvia sclarea) is a flowering herb that’s native to the Mediterranean Basin. The essential oil that’s extracted from the leaves and buds of the plant has a clean, refreshing scent that you can use as a skin balm or gently inhale as part of an aromatherapy treatment. Clary sage is easy to grow in high-temperature areas. It’s usually cultivated for its use as a flavoring in tea. It’s also known by the names “clear eye” and “eye bright” because of its traditional use as a treatment for eye health. But it’s now being studied for a variety of other health benefits.
BOTANICAL NAME - Salvia sclarea
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN - Russia
MAIN COMPONETS -
- Linalyl acetate
EXTRACTION METHOD - Steam Distillation
PLANT PART - Leaves and Flowers
CONSISTENCY - Thin
AROMA - Sweet, herbaceous, clean, and likened to earl grey tea
COLOR - Clear
BLENDS WELL WITH - Lemon, Lime, and Wild Orange, as well as other essential oils like Frankincense, Cypress, Geranium, and Sandalwood.
- STRESS REDUCTION - Aromatherapy uses the power of scent to calm the mind and reduce feelings of anxiety. Your olfactory system directly affects the part of your brain that regulates emotion. That’s why what you smell can trigger memories and elicit feelings, both negative and positive. When used in aromatherapy, clary sage oil can help alleviate stress by inducing a sense of well-being.
- ANTIBACTERIAL PROPERTIES - Clary sage oil in diluted form may have a positive impact upon some strains of bacteria. Researchers think it could be an effective treatment alone or in addition to traditional treatments for wound care.
- RELIEVES MENSTRUAL DISCOMFORT - Clary sage works to regulate the menstrual cycle by balancing hormone levels naturally and stimulating the opening of an obstructed system. It has the power to treat symptoms of PMS as well, including bloating, cramps, mood swings and food cravings. This essential oil is also antispasmodic, meaning it treats spasms and related issues such as muscle cramps, headaches and stomachaches. It does this by relaxing the nerve impulses that we can’t control.
- RELIEVES INSOMNIA - People suffering from insomnia may find relief with clary sage oil. It is a natural sedative and will give you the calm and peaceful feeling that is necessary in order to fall asleep. When you can’t sleep, you usually awaken feeling unrefreshed, which takes a toll on your ability to function during the day. Insomnia affects not only your energy level and mood, but also your health, work performance and quality of life.
- PROMOTES SKIN HEALTH - There is an important ester in clary sage oil called linalyl acetate, which is a naturally occurring phytochemical found in many flowers and spice plants. This ester reduces skin inflammation and works as a natural remedy for rashes; it also regulates the production of oil on the skin. Clary sage oil works similarly to jojoba oil in this regard, so combining the two makes for a perfect skin moisturizer that will keep the skin even throughout the day.