ABOUT - The juniper tree, Juniperus communis, is an evergreen shrub that grows in many parts of the world, including North America, Europe, and Asia. It produces seed cones that are commonly known as juniper berries. Though the berries’ coloring varies, most are deep blue. Their aroma is often described as woody or spicy. They have a tart, pine-like flavor and are commonly used in small amounts as a spice or flavoring agent. These small berries have been used for culinary and medicinal purposes since ancient times, and current research suggests that they may offer various health benefits.
Botanical Name - Juniperus communis
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN - Russia
MAIN COMPONENT -
EXTRACTION METHOD - Steam Distillation
PLANT PART - Berries/Twigs
AROMA - Piney, camphorous, sweet, and slightly-fruity
CONSISTENCY - Thin
COLOR - Clear
BLENDS WELL WITH - Cypress, Cedarwood, Lavender, Tea Tree, Lemongrass, Clary Sage, and Vetiver.
- May Help Heal and Protect Skin - With natural antibacterial abilities, juniper berry essential oil is one of the most popular natural remedies for fighting skin irritations and infections. Due to its antiseptic abilities, it can serve as a home remedy for acne and some people also like to use juniper oil for hair and scalp concerns like dandruff.
- Relaxant and Sleep Aid - The smell of juniper berries offers emotional support and reduces physical and emotional signs of stress. Considered in folklore as a natural anxiety remedy, some sources claim it’s one of the most effective essential oils for dealing with inner trauma and pain because juniper may have positive effects on relaxation responses in the brain when inhaled.
- Might Reduce Cellulite - You can also use juniper oil as a cellulite remedy. It may help to reduce the appearance of cellulite thanks to active components like alpha-pinene, sabinene and juniperene. Add 100 percent therapeutic grade juniper berry essential oil to grapefruit cellulite cream to decrease cellulite.
- INSECT REPELLENT - Just like citronella oil, the scent of juniper may naturally repel bugs like mosquitoes according to scientific research. Spray it on your clothes, mix it with carrier oil and massage into your skin, or diffuse it indoors and outdoors to purify the air and help prevent bug bites. You can even include it in your own homemade bug spray.
- POWERFUL ANTIOXIDANT - One reason juniper berry essential oil may function in so many different ways is because it contains antioxidants that help to slow age-related degradation, such as skin problems, as well as prevent disease.